Apr 25, 2018
ONPod Ep. 2: The Progressive Perspective
Abacus Data's Ihor Korbabicz sits down with Joanne Dobson and Robin MacLachlan of Summa Strategies to discuss the possible strategies for the Liberals and NDP in the upcoming Ontario election.
And be sure to check out all our analysis of the massive poll of over 4,100 Ontarians we conducted to set up the election:
- The election is anyone’s to win but that Doug Ford and PCs have the easier path to victory and Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals face immense head winds as they seek re-election.
- One in five Ontarians are undecided at this stage and many will likely not vote. But those who may, there’s a strong desire for change and few have positive impressions of Premier Wynne.
- “Ford Nation” is a small but sizeable group of Ontarians who share an extraordinary affinity for Doug Ford. He connects with these Ontarians more than any other politician, and they are enthusiastic to be his tribe. They feel he fights for them, speaks their language, and doesn't talk down to them. Though they do not suffer from the pronounced economic anxiety of the Trump voter, they are nonetheless a group with some similarities – a disinclination for elites, mainstream media, and the "scourge" of political correctness.
- Kathleen Wynne is personally unpopular with over six in ten Ontarians saying they have a negative impression of her. Doug Ford and Andrea Horwath are viewed more positively than her.
- Millennials (born between 1980 and 2000) will be the largest generation of potential voters this election. They view the parties and leaders quite differently and could make the difference in how the election turns out.
The ONPulse podcast is a companion series to a 360 public affairs polling and analysis project run by Abacus Data with partner agencies Summa Strategies and spark*advocacy. Tune in for weekly clips on Ontario polling and analysis by leading experts, talking heads, and just about anyone who wants to drop by to chat politics.
Access more, more often
Subscribe to follow driving factors, receive customized insights and research findings that help provide important context along the 28 day journey to Queen's Park.
Never miss an update.
Join the ONPulse mailing list for updates as they occur — you can unsubscribe any time: